Exelys continuous thermal hydrolysis
Exelys is an innovative and complete sludge reduction solution that works in continuous mode, combining thermal hydrolysis and anaerobic digestion.
By coupling thermal hydrolysis and anaerobic digestion, Exelys offers better performance than conventional digestion and optimizes sludge treatment by producing:
- 25 to 35% less dry matter
- 30 to 50% more biogas
- No odours
- A pasteurised digestate, for safe agricultural reuse.
Exelys treats all kinds of biological sludge and can also handle grease.
Features & Benefits
Exelys works continuously and has simplified operation and maintenance with a small footprint.
This process allows:
- Reduced digester size
- Reduced operating costs:
o Less sludge to remove
o At existing installations, the digestion capacity can be increased by upto 100%.
- Income is generated from:
o Processing external inputs through co-digestion
o Selling the energy produced by co-generation or producing bio-methane
Exelys is a solution that guarantees energy and environmental performance, thanks to:
- Conversion into "green" electricity via co-generation
- Bio-methane production (for injection into the network or as fuel)
- Low steam consumption
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Many possibilities for using biogas: with external input (co-digestion), energy self-sufficiency or even a positive energy footprint may be achieved by the plant.
Exelys combines with other Veolia sludge treatment processes such as Athos (hydrothermal oxidation), Pyrofluid (incineration), BioCon (thermal drying), Solia (solar drying) to offer even more sustainable solutions.