Cut your costs and carbon and potentially save £thousands, if not £millions, on running your buildings - find out how
16 April 2012, News release from Greenbuild Expo
Marks & Spencer estimates that the sustainability efficiencies it has implemented have resulted in a £70m benefit in the last financial year.
And your building stock needn't be on the same scale as a national retailer to see savings - anyone in charge of running non-domestic buildings can cut costs by cutting energy and water use, and operating in a more sustainable fashion. For full story click here.
A visit to Greenbuild Expo could be time very well spent!
Whether you're in charge of a school building, data centre, hospital, leisure centre, office block or national chain of hotels, there's plenty going on at Greenbuild Expo this year - from guides to the funding available and legislation updates, to case studies of successful carbon-cutting projects and examples of the latest products available. There will also be a discussion in our Green Deal debate arena on what this government policy means for commercial and non-domestic buildings.
Click here to download a ticket with details on all the seminars and topics covered, there are over 100 sessions to choose from. Alternatively here's a selection of the seminars and workshops on offer for those responsible for larger buildings, it's free to attend so why not come along? It may save you a lot of money!
Wednesday 9th May
- Why retrofit still matters. This session, presented by the British Institute for Facilities Management, will include a guide office retrofit technologies and the best things to install.
- Low-carbon schools. Balfour Beatty will talk about its experiences of creating both newbuild and retrofit sustainable schools.
- SUSTAIN Lincolnshire. This programme of activities aimed at helping businesses to become more competitive, by reducing energy costs and the associated carbon footprint, will be the focus of a seminar looking in particular at renewable energy.
- Urban SUDS. This session will look at the potential for SUDS retrofitting in urban areas - green roofing, green walls, ponds and ditches - giving examples from schemes internationally and their impact on carbon capture, flood remediation, filtering pollutants and for rainwater harvesting.
- M&S Cheshire Oaks. Due to open later in 2012, the new Marks and Spencer store in Cheshire Oaks will illustrate the company's goal to be the world's most sustainable retailer.
- Retrofitting LED lighting. Topics to be addressed in this session include payback periods, CRC and the Carbon Trust's financing scheme.
- Building performance evaluation. The Greenbuild awards' judges will talk about the importance of monitoring buildings in use to ensure they live up to design expectations.
- CPD-certified sessions on voltage optimisation and solar shading.
Thursday 10th May
- ·Large-scale passivhaus. How this fabric-first approach can work for non-domestic buildings.
- ·Making your low-energy building work. This session will tackle the gap that is frequently found between design and completed building performance.
- ·A preview of two green fire stations being built by Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service.
- ·Hear how the University of Bradford's Sustainable Enterprise Centre has achieved a pre-construction score of BREEAM Outstanding 94.95%.
- ·Find out how to take advantage of the commercial Renewable Heat Incentive scheme.
- ·Looking at the impact of climate change on the urban built environment in particular - both newbuild and retrofit projects.
- ·Financing and funding energy efficiency. This topic outlines funding sources such as leasing, EPCs and off-balance solutions, with specific reference to VPO (voltage power optimisation).
- ·Specifying biomass for public sector buildings, with real examples from Bristol City Council.
- ·What the changes to EPCs mean for commercial building owners and tenants.
- ·Data Centres are vast consumers of energy and costs are rising across all sectors. Yet there are simple practical ways to reduce energy demand and cost.
- ·Achieving an 18-month return on energy management systems.
- ·A CPD-accredited session on energy efficiency in commercial buildings.
- ·Our BREEAM showcase series of presentations will show how some of this year's top scoring projects have achieved such impressive results.
The show is also home to Ignition12, the UK's only woodfuel event and your chance to find out more about biomass and the RHI. Free registration and full details at www.greenbuildexpo.co.uk.
For further information please email Greenbuild Expo