Elliptical Concrete Pipes
Elliptical concrete pipes are used for stormwater management, foul and surface water drainage applications, stream diversions, culverting and attenuation storage tanks.
The pipe’s elliptical internal profile is hydraulically efficient and the external polygonal profile is structurally efficient. Together they provide a unique and highly cost-effective reinforced concrete drainage product.
This system offers significant advantages over others, particularly box culverts, by providing superior hydraulic performance and a fully watertight elastomeric captive gasket joint. In addition, most sizes of standard elliptical pipes are held as stock items, helping to minimise delivery and installation times.
• Free design consultation available.
• Pipes can be designed to withstand full highway loadings.
• Where loadings permit, minimum cover depths of 200mm may be accommodated.
• In situ secondary inverting is not required for dry weather flows.
• Where pipes are laid in either the vertical or horizontal plane, the elliptical profile permits self cleansing velocities at low flow rates. Consequently the risk of siltation is reduced compared to the equivalent box culvert.
• Improved flow rates mean pipes can be laid at shallower gradients thereby reducing trench excavation costs.
• Where ground levels and invert levels only permit minimal cover, pipes can be laid in the horizontal plane and still provide an excellent hydraulic capacity.
• Compaction of backfill is required only to prevent surface settlement, therefore special backfill materials are rarely required.
• Pipes have a high performance elastomeric captive gasket for quick easy jointing and a fully watertight joint.
• Pipes are 2.4m long, therefore fewer joints are required than with box culverts.
• Installation costs are further reduced since joints do not require priming or sealing with a separate sealing compound.
• An in-wall joint and flat polygonal sides enable pipes to be laid on a flat bed without socket holes.
• Optional cast in lifting anchors enable safe and rapid handling.
• On-site installation training available.