Salary£26,000 - £28,000
For the full job description and how to apply, please visit www.aldersgategroup.org.uk/latest#we-re-recruiting-communications-officer
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Aldersgate Group (http://www.aldersgategroup.org.uk) is a politically impartial alliance of leaders from business, politics, academia and civil society that drives action for a sustainable economy. Our members include some of the largest businesses in the UK from a wide range of economic sectors, who have a collective global turnover of over £400bn. Other members include leading NGOs, professional institutes, public sector bodies, trade bodies and politicians from across the political spectrum.
With the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and establishment of a new government under Prime Minister Theresa May, the UK policy landscape has never been more dynamic. The Aldersgate Group is at the heart of the process and we will be working on the UK policies needed to decarbonise cost effectively and the new industrial strategy. We will also be working on key European policies, such as the Circular Economy package.
With major campaigns and policy developments ahead, we are looking for a new Communications Officer to grow the reputation and influence of the Aldersgate Group.
Purpose of the role
The successful candidate will join a small Secretariat (of five) to manage all communications, meetings, events and finances and provide administrative support to the Secretariat, Board and membership.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Communications: contributing to the group’s external media work (supporting the preparation of press releases etc.), building and maintaining contacts with relevant journalists, handling design and print of external reports, managing the Aldersgate Group twitter feed, monitoring relevant online news and social media (Twitter, LinkedIn) and keeping colleagues updated.
- Managing website: keeping website up to date (using a content management system), developing a strategy and actively managing the Aldersgate blogsite.
- Events: drafting invitations, agendas and event summaries, managing invitations and the RSVP process, plus ensuring the smooth running of events on the day, which may include some evening work. The Communications Officer will also be asked to represent the Aldersgate Group at some external events, where relevant.
- Membership management: building relationships with all of the Aldersgate Group’s members, answering their queries and all reasonable requests, writing and circulating membership updates (using Mailchimp).
- Accounts: managing the financial accounts, including invoicing members, tracking membership payments, managing staff salaries and taxes. Taking responsibility for the financial statements, which are reviewed quarterly by the Board, and for our annual financial accounts.
- Office management: acting as the first point of contact for queries (internal and external), organising and supervising all administrative activities that facilitate the smooth running of the office.
The successful candidate will hold a degree level qualification with at least two years of work experience. They will have:
- Experience in a communications, events or administrative role
- Sound competence in the use of a range of software including MS Office Suite and social media platforms
- Some experience of project management
- The ability to network and build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders from business, politics, media and civil society
- A solid understanding of the UK political system
- A strong interest in UK environmental and climate change policy
The successful candidate will also:
- Have excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills
- Be highly motivated, proactive and enthusiastic with the ability to work independently, using own initiative
- Be a confident team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Have excellent time management, administrative and organisational skills
- Have excellent attention to detail
Key SkillsCommunications, digital, events, media, administration, environment, policy, project management
Email me more jobs like this