Two thirds of businesses unaware of CRC legislation
A recent survey has revealed more than two-thirds of businesses in the UK are unaware of it the imminent Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) legislation. This could see more than 5,000 businesses having to deal with rises of at least £55,000 in energy costs from next year, through companies having to offset carbon emissions through buying allowances for every tonne of CO2 they emit.ADAS, one of the largest environmental consultancies in the UK, can potentially offer businesses a 50% grant aid for technical advice and savings of 10% upwards on energy cost, which will result in a reduction in their carbon footprint. Reducing energy costs impacts on carbon footprint and assists in helping meet the requirements of CRC legislation.
ADAS' auditing procedure begins the process of reducing cost; it involves collection of vital information and identification of energy intensive machines. During this process, energy suppliers are consulted for their energy usage. The information is collected and processed to identify waste in the form of energy usage during non-productive hours. Further tasks would be undertaken to identify the usage of individual machines and to track down further waste.
Jag Singh, ADAS Resource Efficiency Consultant: "I have found efficiency savings on energy for clients, typically achieving annual savings of 10% plus. In the light of rising energy prices these savings make a significant difference to the bottom-line of any business. In one case it saved the business £40,000 per annum."
Energy intensive organisations who have implemented this method of reducing energy have significantly reduced their carbon footprint. For example, a major automotive manufacturer halved their carbon footprint reducing energy use by half, at the same time they doubled their production capacity.
ADAS can achieve substantial savings for businesses through quick efficiency gains in a short period of time with only limited or modest investment. They provide expert advice on compliance with the Carbon Reduction Commitment and resource efficiency delivering practical and cost saving solutions in relation to "carbon proofing" their organisation including:
· Reduction in waste disposal costs, and investigation of 'waste to energy' options such as Anaerobic Digestion
· Renewable energy - Wind Power, Biomass, Water Dest Heat Pumps - economic and technical feasibility, planning and environmental risk assessments and equipment selection and installation
· Water Efficiency - water saving technologies
· Energy mapping and efficiency gains achieving cost savings
· Carbon Reduction Commitment and carbon trading;
· Adapting business plans and processes to climate change;
· Legislative and policy monitoring - to help you stay one step ahead;
· Bespoke compliance reviews of processes and training mechanisms;