Safety curtain saves worker from exploding rubbish

A fire extinguisher thrown out with household rubbish exploded as it was being crushed almost hitting a binman in the face.

Kenny Thomason, who works for Worcester City Council, was almost hit in the face by flying metal when he was loading black sacks.

Mr Thomason said: "I was emptying black sacks into the back of the truck when there was this large bang and then a piece of sharp metal flew past me, almost hitting me in the face."

Fortunately, a safety curtain fitted at the rear of the vehicle deflected some of the force of the explosion.

The city council, following the incident has urged people to avoid putting dangerous materials, such as fire extinguishers and camping gas bottles out for collection in their normal waste.

Luke Walsh


hazardous waste


Waste & resource management
Click a keyword to see more stories on that topic, view related news, or find more related items.


You need to be logged in to make a comment. Don't have an account? Set one up right now in seconds!

© Faversham House Group Ltd 2009. edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.