First Gas Safety Week launched

The UK's first ever Gas Safety Week has been launched with the aim of improving both domestic and business safety.

Organised by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work in the Britain, this week will see events staged across the country to promote it.

The event runs all this week until September 18, and is being promoted by a number of energy companies.

Big Six power firm npower is, for instance, offering a free carbon monoxide alarm, worth £25, to anyone who takes out it hometeam 50 boiler and central heating care online.

A spokesman for the event explained it aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

He said: "Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can't see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning."

Luke Walsh


gas | energy manager


Energy efficiency & low-carbon
Click a keyword to see more stories on that topic, view related news, or find more related items.


You need to be logged in to make a comment. Don't have an account? Set one up right now in seconds!

© Faversham House Group Ltd 2011. edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.