Rixonway - Recycling Pioneers
15 January 2008, News release from Rixonway Kitchens
As part of an ongoing campaign to support local authority and housing association specifiers, Rixonway has introduced a kitchen-recycling scheme.
Kitchen Cabinets that have been removed during the upgrading of the UK's housing stocks can now be recycled via Rixonway national network of recycling partners. This tailor-made service fulfills all kitchen recycling requirements in terms of method and frequency of collection.
Refurbishment waste, which would have previously been subjected to landfill and its associated taxes, is removed, processed and used to produce amongst other things Biomass fuel - one of the largest non-hydro renewable energy source in the UK today.
Some 10million tons of wood waste are produced each year in the UK, of which only 1.5million tons are recycled.
Nick Greenall, Operations Director at Rixonway Kitchens explains: "It's a concern that around 85% of UK wood waste goes straight to landfill, which causes real damage to the environment. However we are now able to demonstrate that kitchen refurbishment can be carried out economically and effectively. At the end of a kitchens lifecycle the units can be recycled into a valuable alternative energy source.
"In recent years we identified the social housing market requirement for a recycling facility and since its launch it has been working extremely well."
"Our move coincides with a recent Government consultation on waste levels in the construction industry and the new targets set to reduce packaging and the amount of waste sent to landfill. The consultation has led to calls for stricter waste regulations and has resulted in both the public and private sector having to demonstrate that they are recycling a significant proportion of wood waste to meet new targets set.
"Working practises within the construction and social housing sector are changing and at Rixonway we're delighted to be at the forefront of that change.
In support of the Government's 2016 Zero Carbon initiative, it's crucial that the supply chain manufacturers and contractors also do their bit to help the environment throughout the design and construction process."
The introduction of kitchen recycling is latest of Rixonway's environmental initiatives. The company recycles 100% of the wood waste that is created during the manufacturing process. Through links with Yorkshire Water all the wood waste is used to line the sewage filtration beds.
Over 90% of Rixonway's products are produced from chipboard manufactured from environmentally friendly alternatives to imported hardwoods. This includes 70% from timber residue from local sawmills and recycled timber waste from other managed sources. The remaining 30% from smaller round woods and forest thinning from sustained resources.
For further information please email Rixonway Kitchens