SECR; Go Beyond Compliance With The Planet Mark
SECR regulations came into force on 1 April 2019. If your business is within the scope of SECR, you will have to report on energy use and greenhouse gas emissions through your annual report, for financial years starting on or after 1 April 2019. Achieving certification to The Planet Mark will not only allow you to meet your SECR requirements simply and effectively but engage your staff and build a positive brand.
In April 2019, the government’s Streamlined Energy & Carbon Reporting legislation (SECR) was introduced. It aims to make mandatory energy and carbon reporting “simpler for businesses” while incentivising energy efficiency measures and creating a blueprint for Britain’s low-carbon future.
If your business is within the scope of SECR, you will have to report on energy use and greenhouse gas emissions through your annual report, for financial years starting on or after 1 April 2019
WILL SECR AFFECT YOUR BUSINESS?
The framework will be compulsory for businesses that operate within the following parameters:
· All quoted UK companies
· Large UK incorporated unquoted firms companies fulfilling at least 2 of the following conditions in the financial year:
- Over 250 employees
- Over £36 million annual turnover
- Over £18 million total on the annual balance sheet
· Where a parent company is not registered in the UK but has subsidiaries that are, these subsidiaries will be in scope if they qualify for SECR in their own right.
· Companies using less than 40,000 kWh of energy in the reporting year will be exempt from SECR. However, these companies will still need to include a statement in their report confirming that they are a low energy user. If preparing a group report, the low energy user threshold applies to the energy consumption of the parent group and its subsidiaries.
HOW DOES THE PLANET MARK MEET SECR REQUIREMENTS?
The Planet Mark is a sustainability certification which recognises outstanding achievements, encourages action, and builds an empowered community of like-minded individuals.
The Planet Mark offers a robust data management system, and our carbon reporting is already aligned to SECR requirements. We apply rigour to everything we do so you may speak with confidence and authenticity.
But The Planet Mark goes further. Our 3-step programme facilitates both employee engagement and sustainability communications, helping your new reporting requirements work for your business as well as our country’s targets. Download The Planet Mark guide to SECR for more information