Accelerating climate action: edie evolves flagship energy and sustainability event into Net-Zero Live 2020
The UK’s largest energy and sustainability event has been transformed into Net-Zero Live, a free-to-attend experience which will unite businesses, policymakers, investors, NGOs, product and solutions providers around a common purpose: to spark new ideas and actions on the path to a net-zero carbon future.
On 11 March 2020, edie’s publisher Faversham House announced that Net-Zero Live 2020 – originally due to take place at Birmingham’s NEC on 19-20 May 2020 – has been suspended and moved to the new date of 10-11 November 2020. This is due to the escalating Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and related Government guidelines.
You can read the full statement about this here.
Rest assured, we still plan to deliver a hugely inspirational and purpose-driven event on those new dates. The move to 10-11 November also means that Net-Zero Live will take place during the first week of the COP26 climate talks which are being hosted in Glasgow – presenting an opportunity for the event’s themes and content to be more closely aligned with the aims of the hugely important UN talks.
Taking place at the NEC Birmingham on 10-11 November, Net-Zero Live 2020 is an evolution of edie’s flagship exhibition, edie Live, which has grown to become a global stage for individuals and organisations that are accelerating climate action. This evolution comes in light of the UK Government’s new net-zero commitment and the huge opportunity this has presented to across the country.
Unveiling the new Net-Zero Live concept, edie’s content director Luke Nicholls said: “The UK’s world-leading commitment to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 has inspired edie’s audience across all industries to set more ambitious energy and sustainability strategies. Those strategies require new collaborations and new innovations to move from ambition into action.
“Through Net-Zero Live, we will make that collaboration and innovation happen by connecting sustainability and energy professionals from organisations large and small with net-zero influencers, policy experts, product suppliers, solutions providers, investors and the media.”
The new-look show will be structured around three main hubs: the Business Leadership Hub, the Carbon Hub; and the Resources & Waste Hub. These hubs will feature a mix of seminar theatres, collaborative roundtable discussions, challenge-based workshops and advisory clinics – all of which will help to empower businesses to lead the net-zero revolution.
Net-Zero Live Stages & Sessions
- Business Leadership Stage – Packed with insightful talks, informative panel discussions and inspiring movie screenings, this theatre will empower visitors to accelerate climate action and lead their organisation to sustainability success in the 2020s.
- Resources & Waste Stage – ‘Net-zero’ is of course about so much more than carbon. Against a backdrop of increasing resource scarcity and hyper-consumerism, our Resources & Waste Stage is dedicated to the people and projects that are collaborating and innovating to minimise waste and move towards a regenerative economy across all industries.
- Energy Management Stage – Housed within our Net-Zero Carbon Hub, the Energy Management Stage offers visitors everything from need-to-know policy updates through to best-practice case studies – all dedicated to cutting carbon, increasing efficiencies and unlocking new revenue-driving opportunities.
- Buildings & Transport Stage – Also housed within our Net-Zero Carbon Hub, the Buildings & Transport Stage represents two of the most business-critical areas of focus when it comes to achieving a net-zero carbon economy. The stage will showcase some of the latest industry developments and never-before-seen case studies to help energy and sustainability managers make net-zero buildings and transport a reality.
Other Net-Zero Live features
- Mission Possible Workshops – Returning for a third year, edie’s hugely popular Mission Possible Workshops provide visitors with a unique opportunity to collaborate with peers to solve the key challenges and opportunities they are facing in their mission to achieve a sustainable future. Starting with a blank sheet of paper, pre-allocated groups will discuss the issues that we face, share ‘war stories’ and work together to create a unique solution to the topic.
- Challenge-based co-creation sessions – New for 2020, this unique feature will see teams of sustainability and energy managers and practitioners solve critical net-zero challenges through design-based thinking and the prototyping of new ideas – packaged into a battle-tested process that any individual can use in their own organisation. Participants will be able to pre-select which challenge they would like to solve on the day, and these challenges will be revealed in due course.
- Advice Clinics– One of the show’s most popular offerings, the Net-Zero Live Advice Clinics allow visitors free 20-minute, one-to-one consultations with experts across a full range of sustainability and energy topics that are material to their business.
- edie’s Mission Possible Sofa Talks – Another popular feature of previous shows is returning with a twist! The edie editorial team will be hosting a range of talk-show-style sofa chats with a range of industry experts on key sustainability and themes – live, on stage, and on camera. You can watch last year’s Mission Possible Sofa episodes here.
- Co-location with Utility Week Live 2020– As an additional draw for Net-Zero Live visitors, our sister show Utility Week Live will explore the tech and product solutions transforming the way gas, water and electricity utilities do business.