A man who dumped dozens of empty bottles which had contained a toxic dry cleaning fluid has been given a 300 hour community service order in the North East of England.
The bottles were found by the Fire Brigade during a routine fire risk survey in a residential area of Stockton-on-Tees in November last year and the resulting court case, prosecuted by the environment agency, has led to the conviction of Andrew Robert Dales, 23, of Wharfedale Close, Stockton-on-Tees.
Tracing the origin of the bottles was a straightforward task, as the fly tipper had left a dry cleaning ticket at the scene and boxes marked with the address of the shop.
Whilst empty, the bottles contained traces of a potent toxic chemical which can cause extensive damage to aquatic life as well as being a skin and eye irritant which is harmful if inhaled and ingested and thought to be a carcinogen.
300 hours community service is the maximum community order which can be imposed on a fly tipper.
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.
Please login or Register to leave a comment.