Supermarket ditches tinned tomatoes to slash waste

< Go Back to Latest Discussions

» Go to related news story

Click here to leave a comment

Comments
Sainsbury's Tinned Tomatoes
By Greg
Which local authorities are able to recycle the cardboard cartons disposed of by the end consumer, compared with the previously used metal cans? very few, I suspect. Has the full lifecycle impact been calculated? If not, then by being too focused on hitting their internally derived narrow targets relating to mass of packaging than on assessing the broader picture, Sainsburys are in danger of missing the point.

In a can
By Andy from Manchester
Greg's right - it's more a case of them cutting costs than being environmentally firendly. In fact this option is worse for the environment - all the waste packaging will end up in a landfill. Shame on you sainsburys - I wont be buying from you.

By ecs
Although an increasing number of authorities can now recycle the cartons, I'm not sure consumer awareness has caught up after years of being told they cannot recycle them.

By Nick
Nothing to do with the fact that packaging recovery notes (PRNs) required under the producer obligations are ten times the cost for steel as for card and five times that of plastic then?

True Sustainability
By Sian, Manchester
I agree with all comments made above. This will not reduce waste, it's merely changing the type of waste created. It only saves 'so many tonnes' of waste because a tin is heavier than a carton.

Sainsbury's, if you REALLY want to reduce waste and be more sustainable, sell chopped tomatoes in glass jars or durable plastic flasks and allow customers to refill them at a deli counter at a slightly discounted price. THAT'S how you reduce waste (and costs and emissions from unnecessary packaging manufacturing)

The only problem would then be some silly Health and Safety regulation, or statutory rights or something. Madness. More re-using of materials please. Recycling is a secondary preference.

The BIG picture
By Sam
Hello, this is Sam. I work in the environment and communications team for Tetra Pak. I have a few points that you might find useful in your debate.

First of all, I thought you would find the two attached articles useful. It shows how the decision was made with the full Life Cycle impact in mind, not just the disposal solution. http://www.theecologist.org/investigations/waste_and_recycling/400196/how_green_are_tetrapak_food_cartons.html . If you are not an Ecologist subscriber, you can see some of the statistics here in the Packaging News article. http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/news/978234/Sainsburys-packaging-head-promises-future/.

Cartons are very lightweight and transport efficient. This, the shape of the carton and the fact that the cartons are made mainly from paperboard (a renewable resource), mean they are repeatedly shown to be a very low carbon packaging choice in Life Cycle Studies across the world.

Cartons are widely recycled ...[comment was too long]

Even BIGGER picture...
By Michael Butler
Hello Sam
With all do respect to Tetra Pak and your good self - from the local consumer and local kerbside recycling, as defined by our council's (kerbside recycling), perspective. This form of packaging is not fit for contemporary purpose. It may satisfy a basic packaging brief, but, at home this just ends up in landfill! I also know that TP has made local initiatives regarding recycling points etc., well done, but, recycling at its best starts at home - kerbside. The consumer just uses and then - chucks away! Tetra Pak is PAC12, next to toxic! (PAC13), in www.pullapart.co.uk The best according to PA is PAC1, TP's packaging type has a very long way to go, sorry! Disappointed in Sainsburys too!

The basic picture...
By Michael Butler
Hello Sam

From the local consumer, kerbside recycling perspective, as defined by our council - this form of packaging fails miserably.

It may satisfy packaging requirements from certain points of view, but, at home it just ends up in landfill - complete failure! And, I know that Tetra Pak has made local initiatives regarding recycling points etc., well done, but, recycling at its best starts at home kerbside.

The consumer just uses and then throws away! Even though this is a very complex and profound issue, one mustn't lose sight of the end user, the customer you and me. We pay for all of this and its not working.

This type of packaging languishes in PAC12! Nearly the worst, in award winning http://www.pullapart.co.uk/ The best is PAC1, This packaging type has some way to go! But, to achieve absolute top grade is simple - make arrangements with all local UK councils to take back your packaging. For consumers to ...[comment was too long]

Make a comment?
Your name
Subject

You must log in to post this comment.
Username
Password