Government announces extra £900K for sustainable transport
Transport Minister Baroness Kramer has announced an additional £900,000 of funding for seven local sustainable transport schemes in the UK.
The news follows the announcement last month of a £440m fund for sustainable transport, £64m of which is being provided by the Department for Transport the rest coming from Local Enterprise Partnerships and match funding.
The seven communities to benefit from the extra funding are:
- Bournemouth Borough Council: £50,000 for design of a high quality cycle route serving schools and employment centres
- Dorset County Council: £64,000 towards plans for 20mph zones in Weymouth and Dorchester town centres
- Hertfordshire County Council: £130,000 towards a raft of schemes encouraging greater uptake of cycling, walking and bus use
- Leicestershire County Council: £160,000 for a range of schemes including better information at bus stops, encouraging parents to leave the car at home for the school run and loaning mopeds to jobseekers to help them find and access work
- Lincolnshire County Council: £350,000 to build on successful projects encouraging more people to choose public transport, cycling or walking to get about
- Shropshire Council: £84,000 for schemes to promote cycling, walking and public transport
- Wokingham Borough Council: £62,000 to extend a programme to help households plan more sustainable travel
Making the announcement, Baroness Kramer said: We’re serious about making transport better for the environment, whether that is by cutting carbon or improving air quality. Encouraging more people to cycle or use public transport makes sense for local economies, because it reduces congestion and improves public health. That’s why we’re providing record levels of funding for communities wanting to make their transport networks cleaner and greener.
“This additional money will help communities to build on their success and see even more people making new travel choices.”
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.