Green energy league table published
NGO Friends of the Earth have published a league table of green energy producers reflecting suppliers’ energy portfolios, and whether renewable energy tariffs passed on to the customer include renewable energy purchased in addition to the new Renewable Energy Obligation.
The league table is:
- 1 Unite[e] (Unit Energy Ltd)
- =2 Green Energy 100 (Green Energy UK)
- =2 Ecotricity
- =4 Green Energy 10 (Green Energy UK)
- =4 Eco Energy (Northern Ireland Energy)
- =6 Juice (Innogy Group)
- =6 Ecopower (TXU Energi)
- =6 Green Tariff (London Electricity Group)
- =9 RSPB Energy (Scottish and Southern Energy)
- =9 Green Energy Offer (Scottish Power)
- 11 Green Fund Tariff (Seeboard Energy Ltd)
On 1 April 2002, the Renewable Energy Obligation came into effect, forcing all suppliers to provide 3% of their electricity from renewable sources. The level of the obligation will rise each year until it reaches 10% by 2010. Suppliers receive Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) for each unit of renewable electricity they buy. At the end of each year, they must prove they’ve met the obligation by submitting the correct number of ROCs to energy regulator OFGEM.
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.
Please login or Register to leave a comment.