Hershey reaches zero waste at three chocolate plants

Chocolate manufacturing giant The Hershey Company has achieved zero waste to landfill at three of its manufacturing facilities in Pennsylvania, US.


Continue Reading

Login or register for unlimited FREE access.

Login Register

Two of the facilities are in Hershey while the third is in Hazleton. Together these plants recycle around 90% of waste generated from the production process with the remaining 10% converted to energy at nearby incineration plants.

The West Hershey plant is also undergoing expansion, which will be a zero waste to landfill $220m construction project. In addition, the company has added biogas capturing equipment at four of its facilities for wastewater processing.

Hershey’s senior vice president of global operations Terence O’Day said: “We are proud of our progress in eliminating waste from our operations” and added that zero waste status had been achieved through a “rigorous process of eliminating waste, recycling and converting waste to energy”.

The company has a long history of environmental sustainability programs as part of its commitment to social responsibility – founder Milton Hershey started the company’s first recycling centre in Hershey in 1937.

Maxine Perella

© Faversham House Ltd 2022 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.

Action inspires action. Stay ahead of the curve with sustainability and energy newsletters from edie

Subscribe