Carbon & Climate Change Consultant
LocationManchester or Leeds
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we help to shape a better world.
Our growing Environment & Sustainability Team in our North West & Yorkshire region are looking for an aspiring Consultant with experience in carbon management and climate change services across multiple sectors, including: Cities, Transport, Energy and Water. We are looking for someone who shares our enthusiasm and passion for shaping a better world and will help to develop and deliver our carbon and climate change services in key agendas such as: net carbon zero, climate emergency, UN Sustainable Development Goals and Natural Capital.
We’re looking for a carbon and climate change professional with the passion and drive to play an integral role in helping our clients on the transition to net zero carbon.
You’ll be enthusiastic and committed to shaping a better world, with demonstrable experience in carbon and climate change services, such as:
- Climate change policy and advisory, including understanding emissions, setting and monitoring targets and setting plans and programmes for decarbonisation.
- Consumption-based foot-printing methodologies
- Climate change and Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions assessments
- GHG emissions target setting and scenarios.
- Climate change mitigation and/or adaptation/resilience measures.
Your previous experience will have included undertaking assessment work and working to advise on and/or deliver climate change services, including methodologies such as: Greenhouse Gas Protocol, PAS 2080, Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi), CEEQUAL, Carbon planning tools (e.g. Environment Agency’s Eric and the RSSB Rail Carbon Tool) and Carbon storage initiatives (e.g. UK Woodland Carbon Code).
You’ll also be a confident communicator with excellent written and verbal communications skills as your role will include developing, delivering and presenting/reporting work to internal and external audiences and working within a team to incorporate expert review and others’ contributions into your work and integrate it into wider outputs (e.g. broader environmental assessments).
Based in Arup’s offices in either Manchester or Leeds (with regular travel expected between the two offices as needed), you will:
- Support and deliver carbon and climate change services and related work, often working as part of a multidisciplinary team. This will include: greenhouse gas assessments and carbon foot-printing, GHG emissions target setting and scenarios, climate change assessments and lifecycle/embodied carbon analyses.
- Bring experience and knowledge to support advice on climate change mitigation and adaptation/resilience measures and other related work.
- Support the development and delivery of our services on net carbon zero, climate emergency, UN Sustainable Development Goals and Natural Capital (e.g. carbon sequestration);
- Support the team in business development activities, such as preparation of expressions of interest and proposals, networking and client engagement activities;
- Develop and share your knowledge and experience in carbon, climate change and sustainability to support the development of our services and the skills of others.
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor or masters qualification in relevant field, such as Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Geography, Climate Change or Sustainability (or equivalent experience).
- Experience of supporting or delivering climate change/GHG assessments and accounting, including mitigation measures and using carbon planning tools (such as EA’s Eric tool, RSSB Rail Carbon tool), GHG Protocol, ISO 14001/14064, PAS2080, and Science Based Targets;
- An understanding of GHG/carbon modelling, reporting and standards and knowledge of UK and European policy, legislative, regulatory and planning frameworks;
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including strong experience in writing reports.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience of supporting or delivering climate change mitigation and/or adaptation solutions within an organisation or region;
- Experience of supporting or developing advice and guidance on carbon and climate change, e.g. development of policy and strategy, mitigation measures;
- Business development including supporting input to bids and proposals and client relationships;
- An ability to deliver workshops and presentations would be advantageous.
- CEEQUAL qualified would be advantageous.
You will be part of a growing and passionate team of environmental and sustainability professionals with a reputation for quality advisory and assessment services, including specialists in ecology, EIA, sustainability and climate change. We have a growing reputation for leading sustainability, carbon and climate change work both in the UK and internationally; delivering advisory, design and planning work on major infrastructure, built environment as well as for public bodies and corporate clients. In addition, the team is committed to embedding sustainability into the work we do to meaningfully contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Join us in shaping a better world.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to complement your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
If you have any questions or queries regarding this opportunity or the application process, please apply directly.
Arup. Shaping a better world.
Closing Date: 16/12/2019
Email me more jobs like this