KPMG UK commits to reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 100% by 2030 and is the first of the ‘big four’ to have their SBT approved
KPMG UK’s Sustainability Ambition
KPMG Environmental Steering Group wanted to explore committing to a science-based carbon target so they appointed Carbon Intelligence to assist due to our previous experience supporting complex organisations in this area. Since becoming the first professional services firm to publish an environmental policy in 1990, KPMG has continued to lead the way by setting ambitious new climate targets. The targets set out the roadmap for the firm to become Net Zero by 2030 and were approved by the Science Based Targets initiative in June 2020.
How we helped
Carbon Intelligence supported KMPG UK throughout the target setting processes by helping with the following:
- Conducting a gap analysis of current reporting against best practice
- Calculating additional Scope 3 value chain emissions
- Modelling science-based targets to various levels of ambition
- Developing a strategy to achieve the targets
- Supporting with internal engagement to achieve target sign off
- Creating an evidence pack and submitting the target to the SBT
By working with us to map out a pathway to achieve ambitious cuts in its carbon footprint, KPMG was able to commit to reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 emissions 100% by 2030 from a 2017 base year and Scope 3 emissions 25% over the same time frame.
Meeting their science-based target by 2030 will ensure their carbon footprint is reduced in line with the requirements set out in the Paris Agreement, to limit global warming sufficiently to prevent irreversible and catastrophic climate disruption. The Carbon Intelligence team helped them to understand their pathway to achieving this target by mapping out initiatives to reduce emissions in KPMG UK’s carbon hotspots.
The firm is the first of the ‘big four’ to have approved science-based targets and is leading the way to a zero-carbon economy by driving sustainable growth.
Key Benefits of the programme
- Climate ambition: Commitment to reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 emissions 100% by 2030
- Market leadership: First of the ‘big four’ to have approved science-based targets
- Innovation: 100% renewable energy supply and using electric company vehicles only
Greening KPMG UK’s supply chain
Carbon Intelligence helped KPMG UK map out its full carbon footprint for the first time by including its value chain emissions. We identified that over 70% of KPMG UK’s emissions lie in its supply chain and that tackling these emissions would be absolutely key to achieving a science-based target.
Through their sustainable procurement programme, KPMG UK actively encourages sustainable business practices by:
- Encouraging suppliers to submit their emission data to CDP
- Sharing sustainable practices
- Working directly with local suppliers to reduce emissions
Carbon Intelligence has helped 1 in 3 UK companies set their science-based target and supported half of all UK SBTs aligned to 1.5C.
Download The Guide to Science-Based Targets or contact us today to see how we could support your organisation.
N.B. The information contained in this entry is provided by the above supplier, and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the publisher