So, what do you do?
Environmental consultant Georgina Spiro describes her duties as an environmental manager for one of the world’s largest rail transport equipment, manufacturing and servicing companies, Bombardier Transportation.
As a youngster I always had an interest in animals, which prompted me to do a degree in Zoology. I studied ecology and pollution for several years before deciding that I wanted to get more involved in pollution control. In 1998 I did a MSc in Environmental Pollution Control and after qualifying embarked on a career in Environmental Constancy.
Being in an environment like that was unbearable so I took voluntary redundancy and started sending out speculative letters to companies in the area. As luck would have it there was an opportunity. I am now happily ensconced within Bombardier Transportation as their Environmental, Health and Safety Specialist and I couldn’t wish for a better employer.
My role is to work closely with the Production function to ensure that full solution orientated support is given to any areas where environmental, health or safety aspects are raised. A major aspect of the role is to ensure continuous improvement with regard to the environmental, health and safety performance of the site.
My daily duties involve the following in varying order and frequency:
- Representation on external/internal bodies and/or committees/groups relating to health, safety and environmental matters. These included leading and/ or contributing to the:
- International Environmental Health And Safety steering committee;
- International Design for Environment steering committee;
- Group Environmental Health And Safety Steering Committee and UK Depot Group Waste Steering Committee;
- site Environmental Objectives Committee;
- site Health and Safety Committee;
- site disaster team.
- leading and contributing to the anticipated successful certification to OHSAS 18001 – a standard related to occupational health and safety;
- liaison with Bombardier Inc. on various issues concerning waste management;
- ensuring that site remains well advised of advancements, best practise and legal changes in environment matters on a local and international remit;
- leading and contributing to the development of policies and standards on health, safety and environmental matters in line with Group and legal requirements;
- leading and contributing to the development and implementation of auditing arrangements and Group audits;
- ensuring arrangements are in place for the collation and reporting of performance measurement targets (i.e. waste, energy and water metrics) both internationally and to the Business Team;
- leading and contributing to identification and delivery of environmental, health and safety training requirements to support business requirements in line with standards and policies;
- provision of technical and operational management support on health, safety and environmental matters to both the site and internationally;
- providing up-to-date specialist advice and support to both the site and internationally;
- leading and contributing to an effective waste management and minimisation programme in conjunction with supply management, suppliers and waste disposal company;
- leading and contributing to the integration of health, safety and environmental management systems;
- production of an integrated environmental, health and safety manual and associated procedures;
- leading and contributing to the development of a site business continuity plan following a major disaster;
- leading and contributing to the implementation of risk and COSHH assessments;
- evaluation and mitigation of environmental, health and safety risk and impacts;
- leading and contributing to the formation of the Environmental Health and Safety Management Programme including objectives, targets and action plans;
- completion of a comprehensive health, safety and environmental review of the site covering examination of the best practice issues, such as waste management and minimisation, energy efficiency and storage and handling of hazardous chemicals;
- delivery of environmental health and safety awareness presentations;
- liaison with all levels of management and general staff in order to understand and communicate better the environmental, health and safety initiatives, policies and procedures;
- reporting on performance, progress and results of the environmental, health and safety management system over time;
- environmental health and safety support to all projects;
- as a full and participating member of the Quality Team I actively assist in the technical upkeep and maintenance of both the quality and environmental management business systems in addition to conducting environmental health and safety audits;
- utilised as part of the Quality Department Audit Team to conducted supplier audits both nationally and overseas where I have take the opportunity to incorporate and address environmental, health and safety issues;
- successful liaison with local authorities and regulating bodies;
- I have initiated several recycling schemes resulting in benefit for charities;
- leading and contributing to the issue of archiving; I invited several archiving companies to tender, produced a short list of two, conducted a pre-site tour and evaluated credentials prior to selecting and introducing off-site archiving in line with our Disaster Continuity Plan.
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.
Please login or Register to leave a comment.