VIDEO: Unilever achieves zero waste across all UK manufacturing sites
Unilever has achieved zero waste to landfill across all 11 of its UK manufacturing operations as part of its global Sustainable Living Plan, which aims to double the size of the business while reducing its environmental impact.
Working in partnership with its waste contractor Veolia, Unilever is now recycling more than 97% of its waste. The remaining 3% will be converted into energy. The company’s manufacturing sites include the PG tips factory in Manchester and the Colman’s factory in Norwich.
In addition, the company’s two strategic research and development laboratories in Port Sunlight and Colworth Science Park, and its two major offices in London and Leatherhead are also included in the arrangement.
Unilever has reduced its total waste in manufacturing per tonne of production by 77% since 1995. Together, the 11 manufacturing sites produce around 25% of the company’s overall european waste arisings.
Unilever’s european eco-efficiency manager, Tony Dunnage, said: “This is a significant achievement for Unilever in the UK as we make progress towards reaching our ambitious sustainability goals. It’s a great example of how we are putting our sustainability strategy into action – by decoupling the growth of our business from its environmental impact.”
He added: “Managing waste in a manufacturing process has similarities to managing waste as a consumer – it requires the application of the ‘three R’s’ principle – reduce, reuse, recycle. While this announcement is all about our commitment to recycling, we are also determined to find ways to reduce and reuse the materials which we need in our factories.”
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.