Daniel Collins, a 30-year old from Missouri, was swept a mile and a half by the sewage after he came away from his safety line when a nearby pump station released storm water and sewage into the system.

The accident, which happened in Kansas City in the United States, left Mr Collins grasping onto a manhole cover underneath a golf course.

He was found conscious but pleading for help, after swallowing raw sewage during his ordeal.

The married father of three was taken to a nearby hospital where he received treatment for hypothermia and severe respiratory failure.

Speaking outside St Luke’s hospital in Kansas City, where Mr Collins was being treated, Dr Joseph Rueben said it was a ‘tough case’ and that his treatment would depend on the amount of sewage he ingested.

Officials at the city’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration have said it will be a couple of weeks before their report into the incident is completed, while Mr Collin’s employers are yet to release a statement.

Sam Plester

Action inspires action. Stay ahead of the curve with sustainability and energy newsletters from edie