Community order for toxic fly tipper
News in BriefA man who dumped dozens of empty bottles which had contained a toxic dry cleaning fluid has been given a 300 hour community service order in the North East of England.
The bottles were found by the Fire Brigade during a routine fire risk survey in a residential area of Stockton-on-Tees in November last year and the resulting court case, prosecuted by the environment agency, has led to the conviction of Andrew Robert Dales, 23, of Wharfedale Close, Stockton-on-Tees.
Tracing the origin of the bottles was a straightforward task, as the fly tipper had left a dry cleaning ticket at the scene and boxes marked with the address of the shop.
Whilst empty, the bottles contained traces of a potent toxic chemical which can cause extensive damage to aquatic life as well as being a skin and eye irritant which is harmful if inhaled and ingested and thought to be a carcinogen.
300 hours community service is the maximum community order which can be imposed on a fly tipper.
© Faversham House Group Ltd 2006. edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.