Ireland wasting its wind energy resource

Ireland is failing to harness its vast resources of renewable energy, and is instead choosing to spend billions of euro on imported fossil fuels, according to the country’s government-funded renewable energy organisation.


Continue Reading

Login or register for unlimited FREE access.

Login Register

The Technical Manager of Sustainable Energy Ireland’s Renewable energy Information Office (REIO) has spoken out about his country’s lack of attention to renewable energy, reports the Irish Examiner.

Technical Manager Paul Kellet noted that Ireland needs to act now in order to reach even its renewable energy target of 500MW by 2005. “Ireland is home to the best wind regime and growing conditions for wood in Europe, and has an excellent climate for certain solar heating systems,” Kellet is reported as saying. “Yet, these clean, eco-friendly sources of energy currently supply just 2% of our energy requirements.” The remaining 98% comes from fossil fuels.

Investment in renewable energy must start now in order to help maximise efficiency, to create employment, and to reduce Ireland’s exposure to volatile international energy markets, he said.

© Faversham House Ltd 2022 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.

Action inspires action. Stay ahead of the curve with sustainability and energy newsletters from edie

Subscribe