Monsanto denies any plans to pull out of UK crop trials
Monsanto UK has denied that there is any truth to the claims published by the British weekly, The Independent on Sunday (IoS), that the bio-tech company's UK managers have discussed pulling out of UK GM crop trials.
“It was a purely speculative piece from the Independent on Sunday,” a Monsanto spokesperson told edie. “I’m sure you noticed that they didn’t quote anyone from Monsanto in the article.”
“We have exactly the same number of consents in place as we did last year,” said the spokesperson. The IoS article, published on 4 September, emphasised figures collected by Friends of the Earth that show that Monsanto has cut the number of its UK trails by 75% since 1998.
Monsanto argues that the reduced number of trials is not a sign of any weakening in its plans for the UK. “It’s more a case of already having completed many of the trials that are required,” explained the spokesperson.