SWR lands major waste contract at Edinburgh Airport

SWR has won a significant deal to manage the waste at Edinburgh Airport, which is aiming to recycle 70% of its waste by 2020 with the remaining 30% diverted from landfill.

 Credit: Brendan Howard / Shutterstock.com

Credit: Brendan Howard / Shutterstock.com

The airport generates around 2,000 tonnes of waste a year from a variety of sources, including aircraft, catering and retail outlets, general maintenance and construction. It serves nine million passengers and employs 2,500 staff.

With the support of SWR, the airport has already improved its recycling performance and currently recycles 52% of its waste. SWR is also looking to save costs for its client and expects that the recent 14% increase in landfill tax and general waste disposal costs will be offset by the airport's improved operational efficiencies.

The airport's environment manager, Victoria Barby, said: "Our first priority is to reduce the amount of waste generated through improved efficiency and more thoughtful selection of goods. Attention will then shift to the treatment of the waste stream, encouraging reuse, recycling, reprocessing and composting."

SWR's general manager for Scotland, Stephen Cameron, added: "Although the airport was by no means performing poorly, we were able to identify number of additional efficiencies that could be made to streamline the management and disposal of their waste.

"From the first day of the contract we set about engaging with all stakeholders in the waste process and quickly making positive changes."

Maxine Perella


composting | retail | Reuse | Scotland


Waste & resource management
Click a keyword to see more stories on that topic, view related news, or find more related items.


You need to be logged in to make a comment. Don't have an account? Set one up right now in seconds!

© Faversham House Group Ltd 2011. edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.