Haggis firm achieves zero waste to landfill goal
Haggis producer Macsween has announced that it has met its target for sending none of its waste to landfill.
The Scottish food company said it increased solid waste recycling by 90% between 2005 and 2010 and worked closely with waste management firm William Tracey Group to combat the remaining 10%.
William Tracey Group managed to convert the remaining 10% into refuse derived fuel (RDF). RDF is the process of shredding and drying solid waste heading for landfill, which can then be used for the production of sustainable energy.
The firm stated that it was one of the first Scottish companies to be “100% landfill free”.
Macsween owner and joint manager James Macsween told edie.net that its “committed staff” helped the firm to achieve its waste prevention goal.
He added: “All Macsween employees are guided on becoming ‘green champions’. They receive regular briefings on environmental initiatives and are updated on performance. They learn about waste separation, resource efficiency and recycling.
“We have always taken pride in being a forward thinking company, leading the way in innovation and not resting on our laurels.
“We have build up a considerable bank of experience in this area and we are now cited by industry commentators as a suitability exemplar within the food industry, which is fantastic because we have dedicated a lot of time and effort in making sustainability a core part of our commitment to quality. We hope that we can inspire other businesses to follow in our footsteps.
Speaking about the company’s future plans, Macsween said: “Our sustainability strategy will continue to focus on finance, the environment, employees and the relationship with our suppliers, customers and communities. We will press ahead with environmental management innovations, in particular, reducing energy and emissions.”
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.