Textiles collections hit record tonnage for Salvation Army
Donated clothing for recycling hit an all-time high over the past trading year with Britain's largest textiles recycler, the Salvation Army Trading Company (SATCoL), collecting over 35,000 tonnes of material.
This amount is up nearly 4.5% on the previous year and is the latest increase in a pattern that has seen SATCoL consistently increase its tonnages year-on-year since 1999/2000, with the exception of 2005/6 when figure dropped by just 98 tonnes.
SATCoL is also celebrating its 20th anniversary, having evolved into the country’s largest clothing collection operation with over 5,000 clothing banks and more than 120 charity shops throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland.
The organisation is currently implementing an ambitious business growth strategy to drive expansion with 500 extra banks and over 50 more charity shop openings planned for the 2011/12 financial year.
SATCoL’s national recycling co-ordinator, Paul Ozanne, said: “Last year, 99% of all donations were reusable or recyclable textiles. The remaining 1% comprised of non-textile waste like plastic, cans and paper, which are sorted and recycled where possible. We’re working towards zero waste – that’s our ultimate aim for the future.”
© Faversham House Ltd 2023 edie news articles may be copied or forwarded for individual use only. No other reproduction or distribution is permitted without prior written consent.
Please login or Register to leave a comment.